Deciding to cosplay as the God of Thunder was a brave choice as I most certainly do not have the body like Chris Hemsworth. In particular, those arms in Thor: Raganarok were so pumped they looked like they were about to explode!
My buddy Francesc had made the most amazing Thor costume that I borrowed for an upcoming photoshoot but I needed the body to match. Realistically, the only body parts that are on display Thor’s arms so that’s what I wanted to beef up for the shoot.
I threw together this upper body workout that gave my biceps and triceps an added pump but also works that v-shape aesthetic.
Round 1 (As a pair 3 sets x 10/12 reps)
Round 2 (As a pair 3 sets x 10/12 reps)
Round 3 (As a pair 3 sets x 12/15 reps)
Round 4 (As a pair 3 sets x 10/12 reps)
And the ultimate bicep blaster known as the 7-7-7 (or 21’s). It will give you the most incredible arm pump at the end of your workout. Want lots of muscles? Well, do this and be THOR.
7-7-7 How to Perform
It’s a EZ Barbell Curl with a difference.
1st 7 reps (LOWER):
- Stand with your legs shoulder width apart. Hold the barbell with your arms dow then slowly raise your arms untill they become parallel with the floor.
- Then lower down.
- Repeat for 7 repetitions. Ouch.
2nd 7 reps (UPPER):
- Hold the barbell with your arms held parallel to the floor, so the end position of the previous LOWER motion.
- Curl your arms towards your chest.
- Repeat for 7 repetitions. More ouch.
3rd 7 reps:
- Hold the barbell with your arms extended down.
- Curl your arms towards your chest completing the entire range of motion.
- Lower your arms till they are completely down.
- Repeat that for 7 repetitions. I’m sorry but ouch x 100.
I could barely hold a pen let a lone wield the might of Mjolnir, but I got the result for the picture I wanted as Thor. Because I am a grown up, and this is what I do.
(Disclaimer – I’m not a personal trainer but I have been educated and experienced the above exercises. They work for me for that particular desired goal. For a detailed plan, or if you wish to incorporate the above to your weekly routine do consult your gym staff)